Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Disclaimer


My colleagues at work here in Accra have discovered this blog. It wasn’t secret, I myself have given them the address few weeks back. But it was interesting to see the reaction that they had when reading the stuff about my experience here – cultures colliding. :-)

There was a voice saying that some things I’ve written are not fair; there was another discussion about the fact that people that come to Africa in general project only the negative part. My impression was that they were not very happy with what I wrote. Pretty smart observation, huh? :-)

What I want to state is that what I write here are my own perceptions and I never intended to make it offensive and I don’t think it is offensive.
I’ve lived all my life in Romania so I compare my experiences with what I know. What I see it is just different and I don’t judge anything, I am just observing and try to understand.
It is just natural to like some things and to dislike other. It would happen anywhere I go, it happens back home of course.
Very important also - what I’ve written so far are just few things I’ve noticed – they do not capture all my perceptions and definitely not all the Ghanaian culture.

And maybe I haven’t yet written about the warm welcome, the care people show me and how nice, onest and fun they are, but that was supposed to make the subject of a different post. I haven't written about the small lizers I see sometimes on the walls of my rooms, either. I think they are cute and I don't mind them. As long as they're small. :-)

So there is a lot to write, but it's all from my perspective. Keep watching and keep an open mind!

PS: That is a picture from the office I work in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) u r rocking cristine. how's the tan now

4:12 AM  
Blogger This is Dandu said...

heeey viv! nice to hear from you!!! thanks :-). My tan is not that good cause I haven't been at the beach yet. But it will happen soon. It's the rainy season here now, so the weather is sometimes rainy, but it will get to the dry season in a month or so.
Nice pic u have. U so cool!:-)

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home