Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Food related observations

On Friday we had staff meeting. It was a very interesting and motivational gathering that ended with a big lunch for everyone.
My story is related to what happened over that lunch. That is when I've noticed some major cultural differences. For example - there were some pots on the table and I leaned towards one of them to smell it. Many voices around me: "Oh, don't smell the food",”No, no, no don't do that" etc. I was like: "Why?”. Was later explained that "Only dogs smell the food. We don't smell it. If you smell it, the others might not eat it". I didn't really get the real reason for this custom, but apparently they don't do it in Netherlands either. So, mental note - "Do not smell food".

Next I wanted to try one of the local dishes which I haven't tried before, but was available at this lunch - banku. My boss, Fred heard me and since I was saying I don't want a big portion and I just want to try it, he offered to let me try from his plate. I have to remind you food is eaten with the hand here - especially traditional one like banku. So my reaction was: "You put your hand all over it, I can not try it from your plate". But then he told me it is like a bonding thing and friends do eat from each others plates. He showed me by trying the food from Ruth's plate (she is the receptionist, she’s cute and nice and also sewed my African wear – Oh, Fridays here are "African wear day”) – and then she tryed food from Fred's plate. Hands were used for the entire process. :-) I was like: "Oooook, if it's a bonding thing" :-)....but used a fork.
By the way banku was good. Better than fu-fu in my opinion. There are pics of fu-fu on one of the previous posts - banku looks similar, but tastes different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home