Thursday, November 23, 2006

Cricri, we're not in Romania anymore!

Yesterday it was my 3 months in Ghana anniversary and tomorrow is my 3 months to go in Ghana anniversary. :-)
I feel like I should write something meaningful at this mid-way. I will just write something and don’t worry bout meaningfulness.

One thing I do want to mention - so I don’t forget and also to maybe help people who feel the same in the beginning of a new experience - is how uncomfortable (despite the fact that everyone was nice) and homesick I felt in my first month, how slow the time passed, but as day went by I started to enjoy it more and more. I was truly saying “I so love this!” to myself after like 2 months.

I think what I was (and still am) enjoying the most was the fact that I have the chance to emerge in a new culture so I can see there are other ways of living and also that I have the ability to adapt to them. I really enjoy the relaxed way things are done here, less pressure, less expectations, people don’t seem to get mad that often or to hold grudge. And maybe that is way most of Europeans say Ghana is a free place. Dunno.

7 ways I know I’m not in Romania:

1. I keep bumping in a palm tree leaf that's outside my door when I go to the shower in the morning.
2. The water coming out (if any) is cold, but I don’t really mind – I actually enjoy it a lot.
3. I’m welcomed every morning with “Etesey” (that’s “How are you”) and a big “Yoooooo” (That’s their way of acknowledging I’m fine after I answer “Eieeeee” (which is “Fine”)).
4. Although from my home to the office is only 1 minute walk (I live on the company's premises), I get to work all sweaty.
5. When I go out for a meeting in the middle of the day, I can see people sleeping in the trees, under the trees, on benches or fences, in the stores or outside the stores. I guess is the heat ;-)
6. When we stop at a traffic light I can shop for all week since there are people selling everything from, fruits and vegetables to toilet paper, shoes and even maps to hang on your wall.
7. Sometimes when I go to buy stuff at the stores near my house I get compliments from men - not in the form of whistles, but just a simple and not intruding "Uhu ye fe" which is "You're beautiful" in twi, therfore it's not annoying, it's just nice. Yeah, I'm a sucker for compliments, but who isn't? :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home