Thursday, January 04, 2007

2007 in Ghana











The New Year's Eve Party happened in Takoradi - this small town 3,4 or 5 hours from Accra depending on the traffic - where some of the other trainees work and live. Three things highlighted my end of one year and beginning of another - wonderful, amazing, unique and extraordinary stuff! ;-)

On Saturday I had my very first surf lesson – thanks David for that one! Of course I didn't make it past the paddling part and getting there was quite a funny experience for people watching me struggling to get on the surfboard. But I begun and that’s a fact – just few hundreds of pushups and I’ll be ready to start practicing standing up on the board. Maybe. It’s damn hard - Respect for surfers!

Second thing was falling asleep in the disco (Paragon in Takoradi) at the New Year’s Eve Party – oh noooo, it was fun - if you really enjoy endless minutes of the same Ghanaian song or something that seemed like the same Ghanaian song. We were not really in the mood for that music and we were tired, but the others were more hopeful in a change in style or at least some diversity than I was. The DJ kept teasing with "Who let the dogs out" intro until everybody had enough. Ultimately, even the greatest believers (Hi Dalia ;P) realized they've had hoped in vain and I finally got my soft bed back at Daniela's place, although that couch near the bathroom was somewhat cozy. :-P

Third thing was actually a fulfilled New Year’s resolution: See a monkey in Ghana! I had been here for more than 4 months now and I hadn’t seen one single monkey – not one! But that was about to change while we were carelessly driving back to Accra on the trafficless road. There she (looked like a she to me) was – a cute little monkey jumping around on the side of the road – I almost scared the shit out of my friends screaming “I’ve seen a monkey, I‘ve seen a monkey!” – not because of the screaming, but because of the stupidity of the affirmation for anyone but me.Anyway, you’ve got the idea – Symbolism of a fulfilled New Year’s resolution of a weird mind!

Oh…and the food we’ve had was great! Drawling when thinking about it these days! ;-)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home